powerHOUSE
Canberra Glassworks 
2010

These chandeliers descended from three coal hoppers at the Canberra Glassworks to represents a metaphorical progression from ‘coal to electricity’ and ‘coal to glass’. The chemical composition of coal has been used as a structure for the chandeliers, each glass shard contains historical photographs and architectural drawings of the Kingston Powerhouse and illustrates the importance of coal in the creation of electricity from 1915-1957. The glass panels progress in tone from black to clear, paying homage to the coal that has been used to fire furnaces for glassblowing around the world since the 16th century.

Kristin McFarlane © 2017

The molecular structure of coal was used as a base for glass and decal panels depicting plans and images of the original Kingston Powerstation